HI fi 148gtl

This topic is for posting general questions and answers related to the info found in the High Fidelity Audio section above to KEEP THAT FORUM CLEAN! Only instructions, diagrams and schematics will be posted in the above section. PLEASE POST All YOUR QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS RELATED TO MODS SHOWN IN THE HIGH FIDELITY AUDIO SECTION HERE!
tuner
WWPDX MEMBER

HI fi 148gtl

Post by tuner »

Howdy ,

I'm just looking for some advice in regards to my set up .
My 148 gtl is injected I think lol . What I'm using is :

Shure SM 58

Art Tube MP preamp

Behringer Mini FBQ 9 band graphic Eq

The sound I'm getting seems not bad but I wonder if I used a Parametric Equalizer if I would get better results .

Thanks for the look :)
WWPDX MEMBER

Re: HI fi 148gtl

Post by 31 »

What you hav is good, a graphic EQ is probably the easiest way to tailor the tone of your audio. You can individually adjust a particular frequency to your liking. Parametric EQs are a little more challenging if you're not that familiar with the process. It'll EQ in chunks. You can set it to pass or block a bunch of frequencies also known as a shelf or low pass . You could individual notch a particular problem frequency, say you have 60 he hum you'd like to notch out while leaving the rest as is. You could set the Q as narrow and set the center at 60 he and knock out the hum. It's a good tool to have and can help you with your sound, it just takes a little time to setup right. If you really want to add something, you could get a compressor. A good way to think of a compressor is having a sound guy listening to your audio and automatically adjusting the gain of your audio, raising your gain when it gets to soft or lowering it when you get to loud. Normalizes the volume of your voice so you sound the same all the time. Some like to say it adds punch to the audio but the example I like to relate it to is like watching TV , everything sounds the same , whether it's yelling or whispering, the volume remains the same. A compressor is said to raise the average power of your signal.
tuner
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by tuner »

Thanks very much 31,I understand what you mean about setting it up. I am using my ft 897 to listen to my audio without out an antenna attached . I hope doing that works well enough ? The work of tailoring the audio is much harder than I thought lol
tuner
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by tuner »

Could you please recommend a half decent Commpressor I should consider ? Please bear with me Gents this is all new to me . Again I thank you 31 as well as Goldfinger for all your help .

73 , Tuner
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 31 »

As far as compressors , they're all pretty decent . For cb or Ham , I wouldn't spend more then $100 for something. The thing you want to look for is RF immunity or rather better yet, ones that work well in that environment. When you look at what's available for cb/ham, one of the first names that come to mind is W2IHY. His products are good but are also pricey. The EQplus is the only unit that has a compressor built in. Looking at the schematic, it does its job but in the world of audio you can get a better deal for less money. It's the little things that he adds in that helps with radio usage. Narrow frequency response , within the stock radio bandwidth, isolation transformer, impedance matching, also a monitor jack to listen to how your audio sounds . A behringer unit is cheap on the used market and does pretty good when set up right. Knowing how to use a compressor is another story and takes a little work to set up right. Most of the behringer units also have other built in options like a noise gate, parametric EQ and a few other things. Hope that helped and don't get discouraged if it don't work out at first. Audio almost always takes a little while to get done right but it's worth the effort imho. Good luck
tuner
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by tuner »

Thank you 31,

Would you think this compressor may work ?

https://www.long-mcquade.com/46274/Pro_ ... e_Gate.htm
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

Yes, Art audio is good.
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

tuner
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by tuner »

Ok Cool Thanks !
tuner
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by tuner »

Ok , Goldfinger and 31,

I purchased my Art SCL2 :mrgreen: Now if I could get recommendations on how the audio chain should be linked ?

1 Shure sm 58
2 Art MP preamp
3 Behringer 7 band EQ
4 Art SCL2 Compressor
5 input to rig

Does this look ok Gents ?

Again Thanks for your time :D
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

That is how the majority run their chain but Mix-A-Lot and I disagree with the majority.
I run the EQ last so the compressor doesn't nullify the boosted frequencies or amplify the cut frequencies. You can run much less db of boost/cut that way.

1 Shure sm 58
2 Art MP preamp
3 Art SCL2 Compressor
4 Behringer 7 band EQ
5 input to rig
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

tuner
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by tuner »

Very Good Goldfinger Thank you , and another question for you. Can I ask what would be the best way to monitor my audio as I'm setting it up ?
Should I listen to another rig that has no antenna hooked up ? or should I unplug the input to the radio and plug it into a small amp and speaker ?
Or see if I can hook up my headphones to the back of the eq ?

Hmmm...
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

I have a wide 29LTD driving the line in on my sound card so I can gate myself when I need to. I use Audacity and it works great. Rip it to 16/44 wav.
The headphone jack on the computer can be used for monitoring.

Many guys use the wide receive audio on one channel of a mixer and run a radio with no antenna to feed transmit audio to a second mixer channel to drive a Watergate system.
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

tuner
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by tuner »

Thank you Goldfinger , that's much more advanced than I expected . I may have to go with an easier way I guess.:)
I did see the box that MMM built with the coax and coil.I don't know lol. I'll have to play around with it . :mrgreen:
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 31 »

On my borrowed bench I don't have a PC close as I would also run it to a sound card. However I also use a second radio widened with no antenna as a monitor of my audio. MMM sampler is more for a scope pickup. There are other sampler circuits that does both . Scope pickup and a detector to listen to your audio. The downfall with those is that it's the immediate output of your radio, what you really want to listen to is how your audio sounds to another radio. The detection of the recovered audio is similar in process but different in filtering and amplification. You'd want to try to aim for the recovered audio of another radio as that's who is listening to you.
tuner
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by tuner »

Ok, cool 31 thanks very much . I'll have to get busy modifying a rig for that..

What I don't understand is why can I hear guys with great Fat AM Audio on a rig with the regularAM band width ? Like my Omega Force S 45 ? Is it because these guys have invested a ton of coin into their Audio Rack , Linear Amp and Antenna system?
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 31 »

Some radios have a wider response as is there filtering values. Even though most of the Ranger and Galaxy's are built of the same design, little value changes here and there are the difference in sounds that you here. A General Lee can sound like a screamer but adjust the values to a 44V and get the same thing. Maybe a bad example as I didn't check if it was dual and single final but you get the idea. You should look at a magnum schematic like the S3, it's like a slimmed down version of a 44 with various improvements. It's funny when some of my locals praise there 44's as being the loudest radio Galaxy made, I laugh and whisper to myself , they're all the same radio. I'll admit I haven't delve in a Stryker schematic but I believe their values are more liberal but the same design.
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 31 »

One more thing , on the audio rack . If you've ever listened to MMM over ther years I think he's adjusted his audio to fit into both stock and widened radios range. You can still sound decent within the parameters of the the stock. Andwidth, however some clever EQing does a world of difference.
tuner
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by tuner »

Very interesting 31 thanks for your time . :mrgreen:
tuner
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by tuner »

Hello again Guys , I was looking at a behringer 1002fx and it says it has what they call ""British Eq" ?? Could someone tell me if that is Parametric ? Or Grafic ? If it is parametric I thought I might replace my mini 9 band graphic for he 1002 fx . Any help would be awesome thanks .
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

I think they were just referring to the "tone"
http://www.music-group.com/Categories/B ... British-EQ

The EQ looks like it's just a 3 band fixed frequency. The "British EQ" is probably just a built in fixed effect that simulates the 60's-70's tube sound.
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

tuner
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by tuner »

Ok , thanks Golfinger. So it is a Parameteric Eq ?
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

No, it doesn't look like it.
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

tuner
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by tuner »

Ok thanks , I will keep digging around for one lol
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 31 »

Not to step on toes but isn't it a parametric with a fixed Q? Not adjustable like you normally see.
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

"Parametric" means you can change the center frequency of each band. That EQ is 3 band with fixed center frequency. (80, 2.5k and 12k) A 3 band parametric would have 6 knobs. 3 for boost/cut and 3 for center frequency adjust.
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

Of course all of my experience with parametric EQ's was back in the 80's and 90's when I installed car stereos. Pretty much none of them had adjustable Q, just the center frequency and boost/cut adjustment. Now in the 21'st century, my Kenwood car stereo has a 3 band parametric EQ with adjustable center frequency and Q built right into the menu.
How times have changed...
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 31 »

Most parametric Eqs have all those adjustable features but at the core of the adjustment its center frequency, Q(width of adjustment) and boost or cut. By looking at the 1002 or whatever the model was. Each band had a fixed Q , fixed center frequency and only boost or cut is adjustable really is more like a shelf or bandpass I would guess . Still allows the shaping of audio frequency

Return to “>>> HIGH FIDELITY AUDIO Q and A <<< POST QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS HERE!”