Browning Mark 3 Receiver

Caps, cap, capacitor, direct inject, bass, lows, hi fi, hifi, hi-fi, high fidelity, mod, mods, modification, upgrade, widen, wide audio, Goldfinger, Cobra, Galaxy, Ranger
Mr.Lightning
WWPDX MEMBER

Browning Mark 3 Receiver

Post by Mr.Lightning »

Does anyone know if I can widen the frq. response on a Browning Mk 3? Seems to lack a bit of mid and low end. Hell my Cobra 4" speaker has more low end!
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 31 »

I don't have any experience with any Brownings or tube radios but seems to be the logic mod is C62 and C65 .001 uF to something bigger non polarized.
Mr.Lightning
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by Mr.Lightning »

Where did you get this info?
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

Mr.Lightning wrote:Where did you get this info?
31 is sharp. :D

change them to .01uF, 250 volt or higher ceramic disc or mylar/polyester.

wwpdx
wwpdx.com

Mr.Lightning
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by Mr.Lightning »

Awesome, thanks!
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 31 »

Was going to post that exact screen shot but for some reason I can't do it from my IPhone. Studying some of Timtron work on some of the boat anchor radios, there much more that can be done but much beyond the scope of the basic cap mods. Values seem close to being optimal. As with older gear caps become an aging factor.
Mr.Lightning
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by Mr.Lightning »

31, Thanks for the info. I changed the caps and did notice a bit of a change but nothing to really write home about. I did however put .1mfd high voltage caps in, only ones I had in the parts bin. Maybe I'll get around to order some other .01mfd.
Thanks again!
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

.1 is fine as long as it didn't start motor-boating (low frequency flutter noise). It's what usually happens when coupling caps are too large of value on high impedance tube circuits.
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

Mr.Lightning
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by Mr.Lightning »

Oh no, nothing like that at all. Thanks again!
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

You could also make C67 a little larger as well. Try a 10uF-25 or 50V electrolytic (observe polarity).
I know number one son in Idaho did every trick in the book to widen the receive on one of these and it just didn't get a whole lot better. I think the audio transformer limits the response.
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

Return to “rx and tx mods”