Question on tx audio

This topic is for posting general questions and answers related to the info found in the High Fidelity Audio section above to KEEP THAT FORUM CLEAN! Only instructions, diagrams and schematics will be posted in the above section. PLEASE POST All YOUR QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS RELATED TO MODS SHOWN IN THE HIGH FIDELITY AUDIO SECTION HERE!
Mr.Lightning
WWPDX MEMBER

Question on tx audio

Post by Mr.Lightning »

I am just getting my feet wet on the whole hifi audio setup. I have a 2990 that I will be doing the work on, radio was beat up from a previous owner and I went through it all and all is good. I see cap changes and then I see direct injection....with caps changes do I still use the mic input on the radio with no rack gear? With direct injection, this bypasses all tx audio for use with rack gear, correct?

Right now I run this radio with an ec-2018 extreme, and get good audio reports...but I want it to sound like an AM broadcast station!

Thanks for the help
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

Usually the cap changes in the whole audio chain is used more for getting a bigger sound with regular CB mics/power mics. You can run rack gear through the mic plug on a widened radio with good results, but injecting the modulator directly with either rack gear or ProTools is cleaner and more robust. It's also a lot easier to accomplish since you only have to remove 1 cap and inject through a larger one.
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

Mr.Lightning
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by Mr.Lightning »

That is what I thought, thank you for clearing that up. Do you think I will have any problems running direct injected with my 2990? SSB doesn't work so well on it and I barely use it anyhow. I also have a Kenwood ts430, but from what I gathered all TX audio still goes through the SSB narrow filter....unlike the 440s. I'd rather leave that radio stock anyways. I can't wait to get going with this! Just need to gather parts and pick what radio I want to use for it.
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 426 »

GF do you also voltage load the rca jack??
We strive to improve what others have profected!
BadWhiskey
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by BadWhiskey »

rca jacks I believe you need phantom power
Peg that meter in the Red!
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

426 wrote:GF do you also voltage load the rca jack??
I do sometimes, depends on the application. On the Galaxy style radio with the triple Darlington stage, it doesn't seem to be necessary.
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 426 »

Cool.
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 426 »

How about the 220uf elect cap from board ground to chassis ground??
Mr.Lightning
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by Mr.Lightning »

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped (and this site) to get the direct injection setup. Every report I get is WOW, smooth, clean, loud audio. Very basic setup too.

Audio-Technica ATR2100 mic
HP Laptop
Ableton Live 9
Galaxy 99v, no NPC mods or anything

Hope to catch you guys on the wave!!
Dago 971
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by Dago 971 »

Yeah Direct Injection is the way to go. Ever since Goldfinger turned me onto it I never looked back.

Take a look at some plugins for you Digital Audio program. You can easily find hacked versions of waves plugins all over the internet. Gets really fun switching around the sounds of your voice. I have a few profiles, like one for local talking, and one with punchier audio for DX to punch through the mess.

Gets fun!!
8)

Return to “>>> HIGH FIDELITY AUDIO Q and A <<< POST QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS HERE!”