101e good mics????

All things microphone related - CB mics, studio mics, equalizers, mixers, etc...
Wiring, hookup, and application assistance too!
WWPDX MEMBER

101e good mics????

Post by 5150 »

recently picked up a nice ft101e
looking for info on good microphone combo's for the radio, as it sounds quite well w/ tug-8 d104,
but am thinking of a affordable studio type set up? skyhawk recomended i come here and ask grasshopper ,
but am willing to ask openly , as with many choices
i can make my decisions on to which path i choose to go
Mr.5150
WWPDX#4952
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 359 »

If I'm not mistaken, the 101 series is a Hi-Z input, which matches well with the Hi-Z of the D104.
grasshopper
WWPDX ADMIN

Post by grasshopper »

The D-104 works well with the 101, as long as you remember to keep the Mic turned down and don't over modulate it.
Smiley
Smiley's CB Shop

Post by Smiley »

I also hear that the D-104 is good on the 101's.
WWPDX #30
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 5150 »

well on all of my previous 101's ive always ran a d-104 or a echomax2000, with good reports and have ran a studio type of mic before , but it was a rat shack cheapie .
what im after is attempting to acquire a bit of more bass tone to my audio output as the caricature of my voice lends itself to being "tinney" to start with , and with the nature of the d104 , im trying to "see" what are my alternatives are , before spending money on stuff just to play trial and error
as cash flow is tight at this time
also with the amount of drive i put into the setup i have been monitoring on a scope to keep from overdoing and pinching up a otherwise good signal and audio
grasshopper
WWPDX ADMIN

Post by grasshopper »

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/ft101.htm
Here is a mod to widen the receive and audio. To get the frequency from the mod you will need to feed the audio in the back of the radio, in the phone patch.
This mod works great fir the receive and the tranmirltted audio, I have did this to a couple 101's with great results.
Good luck.
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 359 »

You can google it, but there is a simple mod you can do to the D104 to make it less "tinny" as well.
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

Change the .01uF on the left and the .1uF in the middle to .22uF or .47uF ceramic disc or mylar.

DON'T poke pin holes in the element foil and don't remove the fiberglass batting in front of the element either.

I did this to Godfather's D-104 that he is running on a hi-fi modified Uniden Madison and it sounds huge and amazing for a crystal element power mic.
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 5150 »

thanks guys for the info!
the radio has already been modded with the AM filter .
i do appreciate the mods for the d-104 as that will be next in store, as i have many tug-8 d-104's

and as far as poking holes LOL i know better , same with the batting
but the cap mods are something i have been looking for
thanx once again 73's Mr.5150
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

No problem 5150. The only reason I mentioned the hole and batting thing is many of the mods online tell you to do it. I also prefer the mylar over ceramic disc as they have better sound quality for hi-fi use.

Good luck!
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

Ice Cream Man
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by Ice Cream Man »

I ran across the d104 mod a few years ago.

Recorded myself before and after and did not hear a difference.

Could just be me!!!!
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 5150 »

well the other day i stumbled across a behringer XM8500 Dynamic mic and a ART tube MP studio pre amp
which im planning on trying out with the ft-101e
now im kind of puzzled as to which way im going to hook this set up , whether i should use the standard 4 pin mic connector on the front of the rig , or to use the patch input on the rear inputs /outputs on the 101e?
as i can either use the ext. ptt for a foot / momentary switch to key it up or run it on VOX ?

as i picked up the mic and preamp for a song and a dance (cheap)

as im open for any input

and by the way the setup running the d-104 sounds great , as i get many good audio reports, with it .
i still believe there is room for improvement - as most of my locals think that overdriven echo reverb sounds best with there setups , and i wish to be different !

Return to “Microphones & Mic Wiring”